Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lemon, Caper, and White Bean Pasta

This title makes me laugh!  I am all about quick and easy meals on days that I work, especially if Mike isn't home for dinner.  Yesterday I was looking on-line for something I could make that was really fast, easy and eatable.  I saw this recipe with a beautiful picture and decided it looked like it would work.  I went into the kitchen and discovered that the only ingredient I had was pasta, that was it.  I made it anyway with substitutions for every other ingredient!  It sounds weird, but it was good, I liked it and my kids all ate it!  So give it a try - especially if you need something in 15 minutes!
  
My version below is Lime, Olive, and Bean Pasta inspired by Anne Coleman's recipe on Disney's Family.com


Ingredients
8 ounces angel hair pasta
1 lime, zested and juiced (2 teaspoons zest and 1/4 cup juice)
dash of granulated garlic
pepper
small can of chopped olives
1 (15 ounce) can any beans, rinsed and drained (I used light kidney, I think the white beans would be best)
3 Tablespoons salted butter


Directions
  1. Cook pasta in several quarts of boiling water until al dente. Angel hair only takes 4-5 minutes to cook. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
  2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add lime juice, zest, garlic and pepper. Stir and cook until bubbling.
  3. Stir in beans and olives and heat through briefly. Toss with pasta and serve.
The kids and I had this with bread and salad.  If Mike had been home we probably would've added some meat - shrimp or grilled chicken would be good!  It had a stronger citrus taste then I had expected, but I liked it! Let me know what you think!

No comments: