Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Creamy Herb Pork Chops

This is a big hit at our house and a fun way to cook pork.  Technically I think a pork chop has a bone and I usually use the boneless 'pork chops' from Sams/Costco and butterfly them so they aren't too thick.
The original recipe was from Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book, but I've changed it so much it's probably more mine.

4-6 pork chops
1 Tbls butter
1 Tbls olive oil
parsley
2 tsp flour
1/2 tsp basil
1 cube of beef bouillon
1/4 tsp pepper
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbls water

Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle salt and pepper over the pork and cook about 5-6 minutes on each side.  If I have thicker chops I will add a lid to make sure the middle gets
done.  Remove the pork and reserve the drippings.  For sauce (or gravy) stir parsley, flour, basil, bouillon and pepper into drippings.  Then add milk all at once.  Stir until thickened and bubbly.  Add water.  Stir until done.  You can put the chops back in and reheat - but I find that if I'm quick with the sauce they don't need to
go back in.  The recipe calls for the sauce on the pork chops, I tend to add a bit extra milk and make enough for gravy for our mashed potatoes as well.

I serve this with mashed potatoes and cooked apple slices.  Mike likes his pork chops with applesauce, but
the kids and I prefer apples.  To make the apples, slice up 1-2 apples thin, toss with lemon juice and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon.  Heat 1-2 Tbls butter in a pan.  Cook your apples, stirring as needed until soft.  They are a big hit!


No comments: