Friday, November 12, 2010

Corn Dog Bites




We wanted homemade corn dogs - but thought these little corn dog bites would be easier to make and eat.  They were a huge hit and super easy.  Next time I think I will wipe down the hot dogs first.  They were a bit slick and I think that is why the batter didn't stick real well.  

The recipe calls for 2 packages of hot dogs to make corn dogs with this batter.  Since I was doing the bites, I thought I would need more batter then a big corn dog.  I used this batch for one package of hot dogs and had a lot of leftover, but I don't think a half of a batch would've been enough.

Corn batter
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
 Mix it all together.  Dip your hot dogs (or hot dog quarters) into the batter and then fry in hot oil.  I used my electric skillet at 350 degrees. 

Cook whole hot dogs (with wooden skewers) for about 8 minutes, these little guys only took 5-6 minutes or until they are golden brown.  I let them get very golden to make sure the inside was done.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I think my kids would love those, I will definitely be making those.