Sunday, March 21, 2010

Applesauce Crumble Muffins

I got this recipe from my best friend in Cali, every time I make them they remind me of her.  While the original recipe was good, one morning I decided they needed a little salt after the batter was in the muffin tin so I decided to create a crumble topping with salt to give them a little kick and the result was AMAZING! Yum, yum, yummy!

DSC_0760

Applesauce Crumble Muffins
2 c. flour (I use 1 c. white, 1 c. wheat)
1/2 T. Cinnamon
1/2 T. Allspice (or if you’re like me and you don’t have this I just add a bunch of nutmeg.)
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 c. Butter ( use 1/3 c. and I don’t miss the extra)
1 c. Sugar
1 Egg
1 c. Applesauce, if reducing butter add extra applesauce (I used homemade, but I am a lucky lady like that!)
1 T. Vanilla
Shake or two of salt

Topping (here’s a little bit of Jana cooking for you!)
Handful of oatmeal (1/4 c. - 1/3 c. ?)
Handful of brown sugar (1/4 c.  - 1/3 c. ?)
3-4 T. Cold butter
1/4 c. Flour
Couple of shakes of salt (This MAKES the muffin!)
Shake of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients just until moist. (don’t over mix! I tend to even leave it a little under-mixed and it works best.) Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full.

Combine all crumble ingredients until they combine to form a crumble with a pasty blender or your hands. Sprinkle each muffin with topping and bake for 20 minutes for full size and maybe 12 for mini. Be careful not to over bake.

Should make a dozen, I usually only make mini muffins mainly because I want a higher crumble to muffin ratio, this makes somewhere around 30 minis.

No comments: