Monday, September 28, 2009

Chicken and Mexican Rice

I have made this rice for a few of you but our family loves it so much so I thought I would share with everyone.

Mexican Rice
2 cups uncooked rice
1-2 large tomatoes
1 white onion
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cup chicken stock
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1-2 jalapeños, chopped

Rinse rice in strainer until water runs clear, makes the rice fluffy. Put oil in a frying pan with high straight sides. Chop tomato and puree in blender. Add onion and puree. When oil is hot, cook rice for 6 minutes or until golden. Add stock, pureed tomato and onion, jalapeño, garlic, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and cover. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.

If I don't have any jalapeños I substitute it with crushed red pepper flakes.

For the chicken I buy a marinade at the store, usually Lawry's.

No comments: