Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Microwave Peanut Brittle

I have tried makiing peanut brittle a long time ago and successfully burned it.  I gave up on the idea of me ever making it.  I found this receipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog and decided to give it another try since it wasn't going to take a long time.  It was a success and I just might add it to my collection of Christmas goodies.  Every microwave is different so be warned to pay attention and watch carefully the first time and then make adjustments for your microwave.  Enjoy!

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts (I just used roasted unsalted peanuts and they were great)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Butter a large baking sheet and set aside.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave for another 2 minutes. The mixture should be starting to turn a light yellow/amber color. Stir in the peanuts. Microwave an additional 3-5 minutes, watching carefully, until the mixture turns golden brown (the color of peanut brittle).(I did mine for 4 minutes)
Stir in the butter and vanilla until the butter is completely melted. Microwave for 1 more minute. Stir in the baking soda. The mixture will become very foamy and thick as you stir.
Carefully spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into pieces. The brittle can be made ahead and stored covered, at room temperature, for three days.

No comments: