Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Apple Turkey Burgers

 
Anna Elise made  Apple Turkey burgers at Achievement days a while back.  A friend of mine made them recently and I decided it was time we gave them a try.  However,  I couldn't find the recipe that Anna brought home, so I looked at several recipes on-line and came up with a recipe of my own.  Our whole family really like these.

1.75 pounds ground turkey
1 apple finely diced
3 TBL finely diced onion
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

Make patties and grill or broil until done.  Add cheddar cheese and melt.
Serve on buns with Sweet Chili Sauce.

I discovered that I had about a tsp of Sweet Chili sauce in the bottom of my last bottle. So I quickly looked up several sweet chili recipes online and came up with a homemade sauce that tastes pretty good - almost exactly the same as our bottled sauce!

We made small patties and served them on rolls, my kids like 'sliders'.

Sweet Chili Sauce
1/2 cup vinegar (white, rice or apple will work)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. fish sauce  (this could probably be optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/4  Tbsp. dried crushed chili (or less if you don't want it so spicey)
1+1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. cold water

Place all ingredients, except the cornstarch/water mixture, in a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil.  Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.  Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture. Stir to incorporate and continue stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens.

Enjoy!

No comments: