Sunday, July 25, 2010

Spudnuts


I made these doughnuts tonight for my family, they are all here visiting. They are an old family favorite and over the years I feel like I have perfected the recipe. I will tell a few of my secrets to end up with fabulous doughnutsMix the following:
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup mashed potatoes (I use instant potatoes and they work great!)

Dissolve 1 1/2 T. yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 more cup warm water to mixture along with the yeast mixture. Add 3 eggs and 1 tsp. lemon juice and mix. Add 7 cups flour, 3/4 cup powdered milk and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Knead like bread. Don't add any extra flour. You want the dough to be sticky. Let dough raise until double in size. Knead down and let raise until double again. Take the time to let the dough raise twice. Knead down and roll out and cut. After you roll them out and let them raise until at least double in size. Again this is important. It is what makes your doughnuts light and fluffy.
I use an electric frying pan to cook my doughnuts. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Cook until golden and then turn and cook the other side. Take out of oil onto a cooling rack covered with paper towels. While they are still hot dip in whatever kind of frosting or glaze that you like. We do maple and just plain sugar. They are delicious.

1 comment:

Mills said...

They were delicious!! Thanks for having me tonight! :)