Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Overnight Waffles

At our house we LOVE our buttermilk waffles so much that I have really never imagined looking for another recipe.  And then after weeks without enough time in the morning to make my normal waffles I was desperate. I wanted waffles and I needed to find an easier solution for our crazed mornings. That is when I found this overnight waffle recipe at The Sisters Cafe. I was a little afraid, I have had yeasted waffles before and they were nothing to write home about, but these were incredible! They are super light and fluffy with an outer crunch that is perfect. They literally melt in your mouth with a buttery flavor that makes you want to eat at least a dozen. (Not that I did or anything!) Wow!

DSC_0204

Overnight Waffles

1/2 teaspoon Instant yeast
2 cups All purpose flour
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Milk  
8 T. Butter, melted and cooled (I might try cutting out a couple   
                 of tablespoons next time…) 
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
2 eggs

The night before, combine the dry ingredients and stir in the milk, then the butter and vanilla. The mixture will be loose. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside overnight at room temperature.

In the morning preheat waffle iron. Separate the eggs and stir the yolks into the batter. Beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Stir them gently into the batter.

Pour batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done, usually 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your iron. Serve immediately or keep warm for a few minutes in a low oven

No comments: