Sunday, May 29, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

I am a huge fan of the coconut shrimp at Outback and have tried a few times to copy it but have failed miserably at my attempts. I found this recipe in my All You magazine and tried it. My family loved it and said it was the best shrimp they had ever eaten. It is a little different than Outbacks but very good. We just eat cocktail sauce with it.


24 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 cup flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 large eggs

1/4 tsp. Tabasco

1 cup panko bread crumbs

1 cup sweetened flake coconut

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Vegetable oil, for frying


Pat shrimp dry. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with Tabasco. In a third bowl, mix bread crumbs, coconut and red pepper.

Pour enough oil to measure 1 inch deep in a large skillet. Warm over medium high heat until 370 degrees. I just use my deep fat fryer to cook mine.

Working with one shrimp at a time, roll in seasoned flour, then dip in egg mixture. Then press shrimp into coconut mixture until completely coated. Transfer to a cookie sheet or plate until ready to cook.

Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown turning once or twice, 3-4 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.


My recipe for cocktail sauce is some ketchup and add a little horseradish to taste.

No comments: