Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken Avocado Enchiladas


This is a new recipe that I tried with of course a few changes but I found the recipe on the food blog, The girl who ate everything. I really like her blog and really enjoyed her 12 days of cookies before Christmas. Anyway, here it is, enjoy!

3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
2 1/2 cups salsa
2 rounded tsp. cumin
1 1/2 cups chopped red or green pepper, I used red
6 oz. cream cheese, softened, I used the 1/3 less fat kind and it worked great.
1 cup chopped purple onion, or green onions, I used the purple.
2/3 cup sliced olives
2 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed, I just sliced it.
4 (12 inch) flour tortillas, I used corn and it made about 12.
Shredded cheese
1 can enchilada sauce, I used the green kind
For garnish your can use
Sour cream
Extra olives
Diced tomatoes

Throw pepper and onion in with chicken the last minute or two of cooking it. Combine chicken mixture with 1 cup of salsa, and cumin. Simmer and stir 5 minutes. Add cream cheese and olives. Stir until cream cheese melts.
Divide avocado pieces or slices evenly between the tortillas. Put them down the center strip of the tortilla. Top with the chicken mixture.
Roll up tightly. Cut in half if using flour but you don't need to if you are using corn tortillas. Place seam side down in sprayed pan. Spoon remaining salsa over enchiladas. Sprinkle some cheese over top. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until hot.
Serve with hot enchilada sauce and optional toppings if desired.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I actually made these last semester and loved them so I am so glad you posted them.

Sally said...

These were so good! Avocado and cream cheese - yum!