Saturday, August 15, 2009

Zucchini Bread

It’s that time of year again and we are swimming in zucchini! I have frozen over 20 cups of grated zucchini and have even tried freezing slices for baked zucchini later in the year.  Despite the heat here in Cali, I have made countless loaves of zucchini bread. Yum, yum, yummy!

This is my tried and true favorite zucchini bread recipe. I have changed a few things from the original recipe. I substituted applesauce for some of the oil and I added more zucchini. Which helps me feel a little better about the vast amount of bread I consume!

 zucchini bread

Lower Fat Zucchini Bread
2 eggs
1 2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. oil
3 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. applesauce
3-4 c. grated zucchini (the more you use, the heavier your bread will be. I try to stick with around 3 1/2 c.)
3 c. flour, sifted
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
nuts, or chocolate chips if desired

Bead eggs until light and creamy. Add sugar, vanilla, oil, applesauce, and zucchini. Mix lightly, but well. Add dry ingredients, sifted together. Mix until blended. Stir in nuts or chips if desired. Pour into 2 loaf pans. (My kids love mini muffins, and I prefer the small loaf pans they just cook easier.)
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Enjoy!

No comments: