Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Salted Peanut Chocolate Caramel Squares


This picture does not do justice to these cookies.  My friend brought them when they came to dinner a while back.  My husband said they were so good that they were evil.  I have made them once since and really can't make them again unless I have a crowd who will eat them up and only allow me to have one.  Anyway, she got the recipe from the Pillsbury.com site.  I changed the semi-sweet chocolate chips to milk chocolate chips but really I don't even think that you need the chocolate on them.

Marshmallow Layer:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow creme

I used my kitchen aid to mix the sugar into the marshmallow creme and you need to use your dough hook.  It makes a pretty stiff mixture.  Shape it into a 8 or 9 inch square.  Make sure that you powder sugar your countertop so it doesn't stick when you shape it.

Crust:

1 cup crushed cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 8-10 cookies)
1/2 cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened

Mix this all together and put into a 8 or 9 inch square pan lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until puffy.  When it comes out of the oven lay the marshmallow square over the hot crust and press down slightly, making it fit the pan.

Topping:

36 caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons milk, I used 3 but next time I would use 2 or if I had cream I would use that
1 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted

Melt caramels and milk in saucepan or microwave until melted and smooth.  Pour over marshmallow layer.  Immediately sprinkle with 1 cup peanuts.  Drizzle melted chocolate chips over peanuts.  Cool completely.  I put mine in the fridge.

No comments: