Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sugar Cookies


I tried this sugar cookie recipe last week and the cookies turned out so good!  I tweaked the recipe from My Kitchen Cafe a bit.

My Favorite Sugar Cookies


1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened to cool room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix. Add two cups flour, baking powder and salt. Mix. Add remaining flour and mix just until flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth and soft.
The dough can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or it can be rolled out right away. Dust a counter with powdered sugar or flour and roll the dough to desired thickness. Cut the dough into shapes. Place the cookies on a lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes. The cookies won’t appear browned on top (or on bottom) when they are done baking so don’t let them overbake!  I like them super soft with not even a hint of browned edges or bottom.


I frosted them with Buttercream frosting, not the cream cheese frosting she recommends (my kids wouldn't go for that). Besides I like my cookies sprinkled with crushed up candy cane and I don't know how the peppermint would go with cream cheese.  The soft cookies with this frosting and candy canes were SO good.  I want to make them again (actually I don't I just want to eat them again!)
 
Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter.  Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.  Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

No comments: